Highly customized 3- to 4-hour guided photo walking tours around central Tokyo.
UrbanWeird Photo Explorations
Personalized Guided Photo Walks in Central Tokyo. UrbanWeird Photo Explorations are bespoke/custom photo walks around central Tokyo to fit what you want to get out of your stay in the über-urban world of Tokyo; no matter if you are a professional/avid amateur photographer or a beginner.
All Explorations are created from collaboration between you and myself (Brian Wood-Koiwa) and are geared toward individuals and small groups of friends or family (up to 5 individuals). The fees below are Exploration inclusive (i.e., not per person, except the private options of course). The fees do not include the 8% Japan consumption tax, which will be added on during booking.
- 1 person for 3 hrs: ¥17,500
- 1 person for 4 hrs: ¥22,500
- 2 people for 3 hrs: ¥30,000
- 2 people for 4 hrs: ¥35,000
- 3-5 people for 3 hrs: ¥38,000
- 3-5 people for 4 hrs: ¥43,000
¥5,000 per additional hour. However, I would not recommend going over 4 hours. I have found 5 hours or more is too long and people start to get tired. The enjoyment of the exploration diminishes considerably.
To get a good idea of what I can offer, listen to this Street Focus podcast episode in which I talk about street photography in Tokyo with host Valerie Jardin and continue scrolling down.
Some of the types of places we can use to build your Exploration include but not limited to:
What to do next if interested in creating an Exploration of Tokyo:
1. Click on the "availability calendar" below (no need to go through the booking process at this point) to get a rough idea of my availability for the days you are interested in (Explorations are currently on Saturdays and Sundays).
2. Click on the button below to learn more about what is included in each Exploration and other details.
3. Click on the button below to fill out a form that asks some basic questions about what you generally want out of your Exploration. Then I will get back to you so we can start a conversation about specifics.
4. Once we've talked a bit about your Exploration (via e-mail, Skype, FaceTime, or Google Hangouts) and you are ready to book, click on the button below to pay the deposit (the remainder will be collected at the end of the Exploration either in cash yen or via credit card).
Fun and nerdy facts about Tokyo:
- Tokyo is officially not a city. It is a metropolis.
- Central Tokyo is made up of 23 special wards called 'ku'
- It is currently the most populous metropolitan area in the world
- The greater metropolitan population is over 37 million
- The population of 23-ku (central) Tokyo is 9 million
- Tokyo is one of the three economic powerhouse cities of the world along with New York and London
- The former name of Tokyo is Edo. It was changed to 'Tokyo' in 1868 when it became the new imperial capital
- Tokyo means 'East Capital' in relation to the former imperial capital of Kyoto located west of Tokyo
- Tokyo has never been officially designated the capital of Japan. It became the defacto capital when the imperial court moved to the city from Kyoto in 1868.
- Tokyo will be hosting the 2020 Olympics. 1964 was the last time Tokyo hosted the games
- Tokyo Skytree is the second tallest structure in the world at 634 m (2,080 ft) high, and the upper observation deck is 450 m (1,476 ft) high
- During the height of the Bubble Economy of the '80s, the grounds of the imperial palace in the middle of central Tokyo was valued at more than the real estate of the entire state of California
- Japan is home to the oldest monarchy in the world; around 2,600 years old
- Shinjuku Station is the busiest train station in the world. Over 3.5 million people use it every day
Some helpful links:
©Brian Wood-Koiwa All rights reserved